Commercial yogurt has too many bad additives and too expensive. Homemade yogurt is easy to make, nutritious, delicious and save you money..and lots of fun too. Here are 10 steps to make good yogurt for the family.
1. gather all the ingredients - can find them all in the kitchen
2. add milk - whole, low-fat or fat free
you can add milk power for thickier consistency
3. Heat milk to 180 - 185 oF, keep stirinng, want to see milk start to boil but do not boil
or over-cooked the milk, can add flavoring at the point
4. cool milk to 110 -115oF, takes about 30 minutes, or use water bath to quicken the coolin process,
no thermometer, pour milk into container and if you can place your hands around the bowl without
getting hot, right themperature
5. pitch or inoculate your yogurt with yogurt stater, use powder culture or yogurt from previous batch or yogurt you have bought from the store
6. stir, cover and warm and leave undisturbed, fermentation process
7. first batch from yogurt starter/culture, incubate for 12 to 15 hours. Subsequent batches, 5 to 8 hours sufficient. Fermented yogurt should be without curds, pungent, cheesy ordor, the longer you incubate, the tardier or sour is the yogurt.
8. stir vigorously, may scoop into small containers for servings
9. chill yogurt in the fridge overnight to thicken further and to stop the fermentation process. You can store yogurt in the fridge for 10 to 14 days
10. enjoy your yogurt add fresh fruits, nuts, cookies, honey, vanill, jam, jellies
eat as snack,, desserts, use in many food recipes.